9.24.2011

ywam southlands melbourne

Well, as many of you know I have just moved to Melbourne, Australia to complete my Discipleship Training School (DTS) with Youth With A Mission (YWAM).   After leaving GSIS in Korea, I had no idea what was to come next in my life.  I had been praying about it for months, but did not received any clear direction until mid-July.   Everything from then on has worked out so smoothly, which for me is often confirmation that I am doing what God is calling me to.  I recieved my Australian Student Visa just two days before leaving for Fiji and two weeks later was welcomed to Melbourne by two of the lovely staff from my DTS, Courts and Bob.

To give you a quick idea of what a DTS is, it is a six month program consisting of three months lecture and three months outreach.  The main purpose of the time is to learn about God's character, your relationship with Him and how to share His love with others.  For me, one of the attractions to YWAM was also that it is interdenominational and intercultural.  My class is made up of people from many denominational backgrounds, 9 different nations and 4 different mother-tongue languages - it's going to be an awesome 6 months!

If you have any questions about YWAM or DTS you can email me, but of course I will write more about it as time goes on.

This week has been an orientation week to the school and the city of Melbourne, so here are some photos of what we've done...

heading into Melbourne's city centre for the first time with my new little family group...3 are missing

Amazing Race: Melbourne ed. - this is my lovely team to whom
the illustrious prize of Tim Tams were awarded
(note: if you have never had a Tim Tam or do not know what they are, I would suggest
that you head to the shop nearly immediately to fetch some and then
partake in a Tim-Tam-Slam - it may change your life.)


welcome dinner banquet with two of the awesome ladies
in my DTS - Carmen from Austria (left) and Erika from Germany (right)

threw some burgers and chicken on the barbie at Arthurs Seat

While at Arthurs Seat we had a view of the "real ocean" - opposed to the harbour in Melbourne which is not real.  A few of us went Koala hunting among the eucalyptus trees, but to no avail :(  We did however see plenty of wild, sulphur-crested cockatoos.


No comments:

Post a Comment